Chicken Souvlaki features the fresh-tasting combination of lemon juice, garlic, and olive oil that is so prevalent in Greek cuisine. Serve it alongside a Greek salad of chunked tomatoes, cucumber, red onion, and feta cheese. Tzatziki is a traditional Greek yogurt-based sauce flavored with lemon, garlic, and crisp cucumbers.
Lemony, garlicky chicken Souvlaki on rosemary skewers with creamy zucchini tzatziki is an easy healthy dinner recipe for your family.
HOW TO MAKE CHICKEN SOUVLAKI
- Marinate the chicken: Cube the chicken into bite-size pieces and place in a large bowl. Whisk together the olive oil, lemon juice and zest, garlic, herbs, salt and pepper. Pour the marinade over the chicken and allow to marinade for at least 30 minutes but up to 24 hours covered in the fridge.
- Make the zucchini tzatziki: Grate zucchini then place in a fine-mesh strainer/sieve. Season with salt and massage the salt into the zucchini. Leave for 10 minutes to drain. Squeeze out any remaining moisture and place in a mixing bowl. Add the Greek yogurt, sour cream, garlic, herbs and lemon juice. Season with salt and pepper and mix well.
- Cook the chicken skewers: Soak bamboo skewers in boiling water for at least 30 minutes. Thread the chicken onto the soaked skewers. Preheat a grill for 10 minutes then cook the chicken for 3-4 minute per side until brown all over and cooked through. Remove from the heat and allow to rest for 5 minutes.
MAKING AHEAD AND FREEZING
- Can I make souvlaki ahead? Yes, you can. The chicken can be marinated for up to 24 hours in the fridge.
- Can I freeze chicken souvlaki? The assembled skewers can be frozen for up to 3 months in a freezer bag. Thaw completely before cooking.
Chicken Souvlaki with Zucchini Tzatziki
For the chicken Souvlaki
- 500 g (1lb) chicken breasts
- juice and zest of 2 lemons
- 4 garlic cloves crushed
- 2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 tsp dries rosemary
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
For the zucchini tzatziki
- 2 large zucchini grated (approximately 1½ cups grated zucchini)
- 1½ cups Greek yoghurt
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 garlic clove crushed
- 1 teaspoon dried dill/1 tablespoon fresh dill
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- salt & pepper to taste
- Chop each chicken breast into 8 bite-sized chunks then place in a large bowl.
- Add all the marinade ingredients, mix well and allow to marinade for at least 30 minutes but up to 24 hours, covered in the fridge.
- 30 minutes before cooking, soak bamboo skewers in boiling water.
- To make the tzatziki, place the zucchini in a fine mesh strainer and sprinkle over 1 teaspoon salt. Massage the salt into the zucchini and allow to drain for 10 minutes. Squeeze out the rest of the liquid and place in a bowl. Add the remaining tzatziki ingredients and mix well. Set aside.
- When you are ready to cook the chicken, thread the chicken onto the soaked skewers. Preheat a grill until hot then cook the chicken for 3-4 minutes per side until golden brown all over and cooked through. Remove from the heat and allow to rest for 5 mins.
- Serve the cooked chicken souvlaki with the tzatziki, salad and warmed pita breads (optional).